The Home of Hope and Peace (HEPAC) in Nogales, Sonora, is the sister organization of BorderLinks. We've worked together for more than 15 years. HEPAC took a big step on the path to autonomy in 2011 when they registered as a non-profit with the Mexican government. The relationship between the two organizations is now more equal and is characterized by a strong bond of sisterhood and solidarity. Together, we're working to create hope and to support dreams in the borderlands.
* HEPAC served 12,683 meals to children of impoverished families.
* 40 women took bakery and high-quality handcraft classes and opened their own businesses in their homes.
* More than 200 children and 80 youth attended 2 Culture of Peace educational camps.
* 6 Culture of Peace workshops were organized for 35 women in 8 different neighborhoods of Nogales. The women talked about the different types of violence that they suffer, and learned non-violent means of resolving conflicts and of demanding their rights.
* HEPAC held a food and culture festival to encourage our local community to support the community center. There was great participation and we raised financial support.
* 500 adults continued their studies to complete their elementary and high school education.
* HEPAC began the process of applying to the Sonoran state government to open the day care center to provide working mothers with a safe and educational place to leave their children.
In 2012, we continue dreaming...
* We dream that everyone can receive an education.
* We dream that all children can have good nutrition.
* We dream of creating peace.
When you make a contribution to HEPAC, you partner with us in creating a healthy and dignified community in the borderlands and in making these dreams a lived reality.
Loyola Marymount University, College of St. Scholastica, Boston College, College of William and Mary, Mennonite Church USA, Loras College, Western Theological Seminary, Unitarian Universalist Association, Child Leader Project, Young Adults in Global Mission, Catholic Memorial School, Sinclair Community College, George Washington Law School, Christ Church Newman Center, Society for the Advancement of Continuing Education for Ministry, UDC David A. Clarke School of Law, Duke Divinity, Pacific Southwest District Unitarian Universalist Association, Northeastern Illinois University, Santa Clara University, North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Arizona State University
To see the complete list of our delegations, click here.